Friday, July 23, 2010

Pioneer Day

Can't help thinking of the wonderful heritage we have as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I have a great admiration for our Pioneer Heritage. Each one of my progenitors has a special place in my heart. As I have grown older my parents and grandparents have taken on a special place in my heart. I love and revere each of them for all that they do for me. When I make their acquaintance in the hereafter I will thank them for their efforts and praise them for the sacrifices they made for me. In our generation we have had some great examples go before us as well, like Jeanne, Aaron, and Steve. I have never ceased to learn from their examples in my life.

My sister Jeanne was such a gracious and kind person. She made such a lovely home. When I went to her home, I always came away with something she had cooked, sewn or crafted. I still have a little piece of cloth with potpourri and yarn that she gave me, and a blouse she crocheted. I see her expressions and love in Sam. I feel the same blessings are with Ben, Sam and Levi. I've seen it once again, and I’m sure these parents who have gone on before their children are still keeping a watchful on them.

Recently, I found this exert from Steve’s journal, recorded 10-17-77. He was just 19 years old, but wise beyond his years. He worked so hard to make his dreams a reality in his life. “There are some among us that have the divine quality to turn normal things into great things, plain into beautiful, incomprehensible into comprehensible or unbelievable into believable. A good mother and eternal companion can turn a house into a palace, a throne, a Heavenly Kingdom on Earth. So, never overlook the plain, ordinary or simple things others do, for the right person can turn into a dream come true.”

2 comments:

  1. This is a sweet post, Mom. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, I have always been in awe at the way that you can thriftily turn a house into a palace. You are one of those women that Steve described, no wonder he married you. Love you and thank you for your example.

    ReplyDelete